Marine Life Captivity

What factors are most important to successfully raise marine life from birth/hatching in captivity?

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Blog 7: Independent Componet 1 Approval

1.  Describe in detail what you plan to do for your 30 hours.
I will be continuing my mentorship with Andres Carillo, and possible with a new mentor as well. I will be working in the aquatic nursery helping raise and take care of the animals.
 
2.  Discuss how or what you will do to meet the expectation of showing 30 hours of evidence.
I will be posting pictures and posts about what I've done. You can also contact Cabrillo and they will send you my hours of working there.
 
3.  And explain how what you will be doing will help you explore your topic in more depth.
  The great thing about working in the aquatic nursery, is that I am constantly around and working with marine life. Because I am actively interacting with them, I learn new things all the time and can study certain factors for myself. This is how I've come up with my first answer, which is diet.

4.  Post a log on the right hand side of your blog near your mentorship log and call it the independent component 1 log.
Okee dokee

1 comment:

  1. (so cool!) APPROVED

    For my Independent Component I plan to take part in Cabrillo Marine Aquarium's Young Scientist Program, where I will be working on a research project. I plan on studying how the nutrition in a Swell Shark's diet affects its health, growth, size, behavior and hunting behavior. IF my proposal is approved I will be working with 6 young Swell Sharks (hatch-lings maybe) and study with them. I will feed them twice a week instead of the usual three so when they are fed they will be very hungry. This means that instead of the usual 1.27 ounces of food they're usually fed, I will be feeding them 1.5 ounces to make up for the missed meal. In order to collect relatively accurate data I will be feeding 3 Swell Sharks only Mackerel and the other 3 only Squid. This way, in-case one of the sharks becomes unhealthy or does not wish to eat, I will still have two others to go by.
    To show 30 hours of evidence I will be taking pictures throughout the project of my progress. I will also be keeping an accurate log of everything I do for it.
    This research project will help me with my topic because it will show the effect of diet on growing fish in captivity. Also, it's an excellent opportunity to learn more about a certain species of fish.

    *Note: I may not be able to use Swell Sharks because they are slow growing and so I might have to switch to Moon Jellies, Rock-fish, Shrimp, etc.... also, if my proposal is denied I will just be doing the extra hours.

    ReplyDelete