Marine Life Captivity

What factors are most important to successfully raise marine life from birth/hatching in captivity?

Friday, October 18, 2013

Blog 8: Research and Working EQ

1.  What is your working EQ?
What factors are most important to successfully raise marine life from birth/hatching in captivity?

2.  What is a possible answer to your working EQ? Please write the answer in thesis format. 
 One of the possible answers to my EQ is nutrition in a fish's diet. Nutrition is especially important in larval and juvenile stages of fish because this can shape how well they do in later life. Poor diet can lead to things such as mal-pigmentation, skeletal deformities and loss of enzyme capacity. It affects their growth, both in weight and length, and their behavior. I hope to further research the effects of nutrition in diet with my independent component, where I will be using Olive Rockfish as my experimental species.
3.  What is the most important source you have used that has helped you come up with an answer to your working EQ?
The most important source that i have used so far is my mentor. Andres has been really helpful and has provided me with many great opportunities to expand my knowledge. He's taught me the different feeding methods for the fish, cleaning and maintenance and the difference between the AQ1 and AQ2 water lines. I've learned how important water temperature, diet, environment and stress factors are in keeping and raising healthy fish.

 4.  Who is your mentor, or where are you volunteering, and how does what you are doing relate to your working EQ?
My mentor is Andres Carillo and I volunteer at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium. I volunteer specifically in the aquatic nursery, where I work with larvae and juvenile fish. Both my mentor and the aquatic nursery relate to my EQ. My mentor teaches me how to take care of the young fish, along with giving me problems and 'tests' to have me stop and really think things out. The aquatic nursery provides me with the perfect facility to study the larvae and juveniles, along with actively interacting with the public to not only improve my public speaking skills, but to push me to expand my knowledge so that I can provide them with accurate information.

No comments:

Post a Comment