Marine Life Captivity

What factors are most important to successfully raise marine life from birth/hatching in captivity?

Sunday, October 13, 2013

10/13/13

The morning started off with the normal feeding. I fed everything but the Red Abalone. This is the first time that I've fed Jelly Corner. It was fun, fed them a mix of baby brine shrimp and cyclopeeze. After this I helped clean the tanks to remove and left over food. After all the cleaning was done I checked the blue banded gobie tank for eggs. I didn't find any unfortunately. Soon after a new volunteer and I headed down to the tide pools to collect crabs and snails for the octopus. But we had missed the low tide so when we got there it was high tide... but we collected a large amount of them so that was good. And I got stuck for a few minutes on a little 'island' of rock. I wasn't really paying attention to the tide and so had to wade back to shore..... yeah, I had soggy socks and shoes for the rest of the day. When we returned him and I had to separate all of them between small and big. That took a very long time. Oh, we did something pretty cool today, we collected jellyfish larvae from the moon jellies. I met with my mentor again today and we decided to change my species from swell sharks to Olive Rockfish because rockfish grow a lot faster than Swell Sharks and they're easier to take care of. So I have to re-do my proposal. I'm thinking of just putting the extra hours as my independent component because my research project, which I'm doing either way, will not be done in time. It will be taking about 3 months to do. And I'm hoping to do another after I finish this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment