Marine Life Captivity

What factors are most important to successfully raise marine life from birth/hatching in captivity?

Sunday, September 29, 2013

9/29/13

I didn't get to feed anything this morning besides the Moon Jellies and West Coast Sea Nettles because everyone else did the others first. Today was pretty normal overall. I cleaned the tubesnout. pipefish and kelp bass tanks. I found an escaped tubesnout and that was the only abnormal thing today.... I worked the 'kitchen' most of today (the kitchen is where we raise our zoo-plankton and phytoplankton) and so I gotta show people them under the microscope, give out stamps and stickers and just talk to the public in general. There were a lot of excited little kids, and I have to say, they were super adorable. Around 2:15 I met with Andres, my mentor, to discuss my research proposal. I got some things clarified and think that I will have it done and turned in by next Sunday. He also told me about another 'beach seine' coming up and he said that I should go. I really want to, the only problem is that it will be really early in the morning, like, 5 a.m. early.... my parents would have to drive me there and I don't think that they'd want to. But it would be an excellent opportunity to collect specimens and observe how rich the diversity in the inner beach is. I also met with an aquarist today and she was able to specify how much swell sharks eat each meal, how big they would grow by the 3 month time frame and what size tanks I'll need. Then in the afternoon I fed everything: Red Abalone, Kelp Bass, Blue-banded Gobies, Juvenile Garibaldi,  Pipefish, Tubesnout, Moon Jellyfish, West Coast Sea Nettles and even the Wolf Eels. The Wolf Eels were really, really cool. I've never fed them before and so that was really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment