Marine Life Captivity

What factors are most important to successfully raise marine life from birth/hatching in captivity?

Sunday, September 22, 2013

09/22/13

Today was a great day. It was the icebreaker day. I will admit that I was quite a bit skeptical at first, I mean who actually LIKES icebreakers? But this one was nothing at all like ones I'd ever had to participate in the past. It started off with Dr. Darrow introducing the Young Scientist Program and what it was about and how it would all work. Then we got to hear from others who have done projects there before and also met all the staff who would be helping. My mentor, Andres Carillo, is one of those. After this we all headed over to the Cabrillo beach where we did a beach seine. Pretty much what we did was drag a large net through the water and then pick out all the specimens and put them in buckets of water to collect data. My group and I collected about 26 Topsmelts. We weighed  and measured them. Our biggest one was 7.1 cm and 4 grams while our smallest was 5.5 cm and 1.8 grams. We recorded out data for the first 15 of them and then went back to the aquarium. Then we learned how to use a Quadrant square and spent some time working on our research proposals. By the end of the Icebreaker I had learned a lot and actually honed my independent component idea more. My current hypothesis, which is still under construction, is as follows:
A Swell Shark's size, growth, behavior and hunting behavior is effected, if not determined, by the amount of Carbohydrates, Calories, protein and fat in their diet.

I really need to get moving on filling out my paper work, I have a deadline to meet! Anyways, after the icebreaker was over I headed back to the Aquatic Nursery and did the P.M. feedings. The West Coast Sea Nettles gave me a mini panic attack during feeding when they kept floating to the top and getting stuck.... we can't just push them down with the basters because they are very delicate, in fact, about 95% of their body is made of water. So we have to use our hands to gently push them back down. I was really lucky and wasn't stung, but it's only a matter of time. A lot of the staff and volunteers who have been working their for a long time have been stung so often by them that they no longer feel the stings. Maybe by the end of senior project I'll be like that? :P
Topsmelt caught in Seine Net. Topsmelt can get about 14.5 inches long and have a life span of 6-9 years. They are not a true smelt, instead they are in the silversides family and more so related to Grunions. They can be found along sandy beaches, muddy areas, rocky reefs, kelp beds, bays, piers and estuaries from around the Vancouver Island to the Gulf of California. Their spawning occurs in spring and summer in relatively shallow waters.


No comments:

Post a Comment