Marine Life Captivity

What factors are most important to successfully raise marine life from birth/hatching in captivity?

Monday, January 6, 2014

Blog 10: The Holiday

1.  It is important to consistently work on your senior project, whether it is break or we are in school.  What did you over the break with your senior project?
Over break I worked on my Olive Rockfish project, learning how to collect my data and use the program ImageJ to calculate what I needed. I also learned about new types of feeding methods and what factors to consider to get fish to eat better under semi-stressful conditions. I also worked on my research, reading about fish behavior in captivity, feeding habits and about different types of tanks.

2.  What was the most important thing you learned from what you did and why?  What was the source of what you learned?
One of the most important things I learned would be to profile your organism. You MUST know what habitat it needs, what sort of nutrition it requires in its diet, how fast will it grow and its relative size. For example, let's take habitat. You should know the required water temperature, air flow, if it needs cover or not, gravel, plants, how big of a tank, etc. I learned this from research, my mentor and especially my Olive Rockfish project since I had to build my own tanks for that.

3.  If you were going to do a 10 question interview on questions related to answers of your EQ, who would you talk to and why?
I would talk to Andres, Kiersten, or Nicole because all of them are quite knowledgeable about my topic. They've all helped me a lot so far in my senior project and thinking of answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment