Marine Life Captivity

What factors are most important to successfully raise marine life from birth/hatching in captivity?

Sunday, November 3, 2013

11/03/13

Today has been one of my favorites so far! After the usual morning feedings and tank cleaning, I did my very first tour! Southgate was coming again and Andres asked me if I could give a tour of the aquarium to the kids who were new. So I did, to one kid, yes one kid only. But it was fun. I took him to the jelly lab where he got to hold a moon jelly and took him to the touch tanks, let him feed the red abalone and then gave him a tour of the aquatic nursery and main exhibit hall. After this we stopped for a quick lunch break where I discovered the amazingness that is the maple bacon doughnut. Then we all went down to the tidepools. It was lowtide and there were tons of life about! I saw lots of Sea Hares, Starfish, Muscles, Crabs, Hermit Crabs, Snails, Sea Anemones, sea slugs and tide sculpin. After about a good half hour we all had to go back. Then I fed the animals for the p.m. feeding and met with Andres again. He showed me how to use ImageJ and I got some much-needed facts clarified. I hope to have my proposal submitted by tomorrow.
This is the molted shell of a male Striped Crab I found under a rock.
the Tidepools at Cabrillo are absolutely beautiful, and abundant with life. I highly suggest people go there at low tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment