Marine Life Captivity

What factors are most important to successfully raise marine life from birth/hatching in captivity?

Sunday, August 18, 2013

8/18/13


Today was the first time I officially worked at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium as a member. First, they had me take a 'scavenger hunt' so that I would get to know my environment and learn where everything was located. They taught me how to prepare the food for the fish and the correct ways to feed them. I learned about the water systems, which was important because I needed to know so I wasn't giving fish who normally lived in 80 degree water 52 degree water or vise-versa. They gave me a tour of the aquarium, showing me where the spare tanks were, gravel, where to dump the bio waste, where the back fish were and the extra food freezers. I learned how to clean the tanks and displays, how to make the correct foods for the larvae fish and how to deal with the public. The first thing they had me do actually was feed the Jellyfish, I fed both Moon jelly and Sea Nettles. I learned that Moon jellies are too weak to sting us but Sea Nettles certainly aren't. One of the other volunteers I worked with has been working there for a long time and had been stung so many times that he had actually become used to the stings and could no longer feel them. I also learned that the reason they kept so many Leopard sharks out back was because they mated well and produced a lot of eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment